Brooksville-Tampa Bay Regional Airport & Technology Center is a modern-day success story. But like most good stories, BKV has an interesting beginning.
The Brooksville Army Airfield
Like many general aviation airports of its genre, Brooksville’s airport is a former World War II military airfield. The U.S. War Department constructed Brooksville Army Airfield, an operational training facility that consisted of runways, taxiways, aprons, roads, utility systems and about 150 buildings and structures.
The Brooksville Army Air Field was used as an auxiliary airfield of MacDill Field and Drew Field for training pilots and ground crews during the war. Operations at this field began in November 1942 with the arrival of the 1st Bomb Squadron. The 9th Bombardment Group used the airport for training on B-17 Flying Fortresses and B-24 Liberators.
The site remained active until late 1945, when the Army determined the site was surplus. The War Assets Administration sold or removed most of the improvements for off-site use. The WAA conveyed the acreage and remaining improvements to the City of Brooksville, which eventually transferred the property to the Hernando County Board of County Commissioners.
Today, the airport is is a major economic force on Florida’s Adventure Coast. At the Airport and Technology Center, more than 120 businesses and 2,000 employees call BKV their home. These diverse businesses contribute more than $350 million annually in direct economic activity to the region.
In addition, there are plenty of infrastructure-ready build sites available on the 2,400-acre complex, many with direct runway access, to accommodate businesses of all sizes.